At TEDMED 2009, Eric Dishman, Director of Health Innovation and Policy for Intel’s Digital Health Group, discussed how disruptive technologies could assist with independent living.
Key points covered in his talk:
- By monitoring behavioural markers, Intel is accumulating rich data on the prevention and early detection of disease as well as the tracking of disease over time.
- The implications for healthcare of the aging population.
- A paradigm shift in the way care can be delivered—from institutions (“Mainframe Model”) to patients’ homes (“Personal Health Model”).
- Need for large-scale independent living technology research.
- Making the patient, family members, caregivers, and the home become part of the healthcare team.