≡ Menu
Rotating Images!

Am I Eligible to Take the CPHQ Examination?

A common question that I get is: “I have (ABC education credentials and XYZ number of years of experience). Can I sit the CPHQ exam?”

The Healthcare Quality Certification Commission’s statement on the eligibility requirements for the CPHQ examination can be found in the CPHQ Examination Candidate Handbook (Page 4 of the current, i.e. January 1, 2013 issue):

All candidates have complete access to the examination process. Those who aspire to excel and demonstrate their competency in the field of healthcare quality have a chance to do so and achieve certification.

After years of extensive experience in testing research and development and after observing the extraordinarily diverse backgrounds of exceptional candidates who have been successful on the examination and as CPHQs, the commission is confident that the carefully crafted CPHQ examination will differentiate between candidates who are able to demonstrate competence and those who are not. It is with this confidence that HQCC celebrates the elimination of barriers such as minimum education and/or experience requirements that are not objectively linked to success on the examination and effectiveness as a healthcare quality professional.

Our plain-English version of the statement is that anyone, regardless of their education credentials or work experience, may sit the exam.

This, however, should not be misconstrued as meaning that it is appropriate for anyone with some experience in healthcare quality to apply for the exam. Although each case should be judged on its own merit, persons considering CPHQ certification should be aware that the historical pass rates for the CPHQ exam, especially among international candidates, have been quite poor. On average, about 75% of US candidates pass the exam within a calendar year (with reattempts included), while the pass rate among international candidates is only around 37%.

In summary, “anyone” can sit the CPHQ exam. But, based on past data, only about two in every three candidates will pass the certifying exam.

{ 14 comments… add one }
  • tharwat Elsayed December 13, 2014, 7:49 am

I think that who have experience in quality implementation in hospital X will be one of the( two in every three candidates ) . what is your advice to increase this experience through reading and raise his information in the field of healthcare quality. Can you help me with soft copy of q solution book 2014, Memory Jogger I & II,CPHQ secrets , Team book and Janet brown book 2014. thanks in advane.
    Dr. tharwat
    12-12-2014
    [email protected]

• Andy Teh December 15, 2014, 2:40 am

@Tharwat Elsayed—Teh & Associates will NEVER knowingly violate copyright or participate in illegal activity. We are a leading global healthcare consulting firm and have always conducted our business professionally and ethically. If you are trying to acquire valuable resources without paying your dues (and thereby depriving authors and publishers of their rightful income), you’ve come to the wrong place. We suggest you look elsewhere.

• Evangel March 19, 2016, 11:18 am

I want to buy the materials for study guide, Please where can I go and buy them am 350kilometres away from Jeddah in Saudi Arabia .

• Andy Teh March 20, 2016, 6:11 am

@Evangel—I presume you are interested in materials to help you succeed in the CPHQ exam. A member of our team will contact you via e-mail to provide further information.

• ubaid August 4, 2016, 10:23 am

• ubaid August 4, 2016, 10:24 am

I want to buy the materials for study guide, Please where can I go and buy it in uae.or India.

• Andy Teh August 4, 2016, 10:32 am

@ubaid—No matter where you are in the world, e.g. USA, Canada, Saudi Arabia, UAE, India, etc., you can purchase CPHQ exam preparation materials at the CPHQ Tutor website.

• Dr Kareem November 3, 2016, 6:35 am

Hi there
    where is the nearest place from KL that i can sit for this exam after completed your preparation course?
    Please help me and update asap

• Andy Teh November 5, 2016, 2:26 am

@Dr Kareem—I believe one of my associates has provided the information you requested.

• Krish December 3, 2016, 1:44 am

Hello,
    I completed my Masters in pharmacology. Can you help in career path. And could you please let me know if I am eligible to take the test.

• Andy Teh December 3, 2016, 5:51 am

@Krish—Yes, you are probably eligible. I’m not sure what you mean when you asked about help in your career path. I’d be comfortable providing advice on career choices to people I’ve worked with, either on a consulting or educational and training engagement. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have sufficient information to assist.

• KIRUBA THOMAS S December 9, 2016, 4:15 pm

Kindly share the details of the course fees and exam date.

• Andy Teh December 10, 2016, 5:58 am

@KIRUBA THOMAS S—We offer a variety of programs that assist CPHQ exam candidates to pass the exam. The fee varies depending on the program being offered. The CPHQ exam fee is $399 for NAHQ members and $469 for non-members, as of today. Your IP address tells us you are not based in the US, in which case you will have to apply to take the CPHQ exam during one of the four window periods in 2017:

• March 19–April 1, 2017; application period is November 19, 2016–March 3, 2017